Unpleasant back pain accompanies a person from the moment of walking upright. This has many advantages, but the spine has acquired a load that is unevenly distributed. The greatest pressure is on the lumbar region. Pain in this place is not uncommon and the cause may not only be the wrong position. Read more about everything further.
Causes of back pain in the lumbar region
Back pain can be acute and aching, constant and episodic, passing or radiating to another place. Back pain can be provoked by injuries, infringement of nerve endings, deposition of salts in the spine, inflammatory processes in the kidneys and urolithiasis, pancreatitis, intervertebral hernias, muscle problems, and some surgical diseases in which pain radiates to the lower back.
To determine the exact cause, you need to take into account the accompanying symptoms. This includes fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin rashes. When contacting a doctor, a test may be prescribed to obtain a more informative result.
In case of pain in the lumbar spine, first of all, everyone worries about the condition of the spine and this is justified. The pain can be observed both for a short time and for months. Can cause pain:
- Radiculitis- damage to the nerve processes in the brain in the back. Soreness is also felt in the lower extremities with characteristic "goose bumps", numbness.
- Lumbago.It is called a lumbago. Appears suddenly during freezing, sudden lifting of load, turning, can be felt in the hand.
- Sciaticais an inflammatory phenomenon of the sciatic nerve. It manifests itself in seizures, shifting to the lower back, legs. In women, inflammatory processes of the appendages in a chronic form.
- Osteochondrosis (lumbar)occurs not only with a decrease in bone density, cartilage, but also with infringement of the nerve endings of the spinal cord.
- Spondylosisis accompanied by a decrease in the thickness of the vertebrae, weakness of the ligaments, an increase in bone tissue, which leads to compression of the same nerve endings. As a result - aching pain, weakness of the legs.
- Bechterew's disease.Its essence is in the defeat of the intervertebral joints, which contribute to the functioning of the joints. Pain appears not only in the ridge, joints, but also in the eyes. As a result, soreness in the lower back, and after sore throat or loss of mobility of the joints of the lumbar spine.
- Protrusion- a change in the position of the cartilage between the vertebrae with the subsequent formation of a hernia, compression of nerve endings and loss of joint function. This pain can also be felt in the legs.
- Stenosis- a decrease in the lumen of the spinal canal. Appears in inflammatory processes (chronic form), which leads to pinching of the nerves. As a result, not only pain appears, but also cramps in the back. It subsides when lying or sitting, but then reappears.
- Scoliosis.Curvature of the spine leads to such pain together with hernia, osteochondrosis.
The lumbar spine is the most important part of the spine. When inflammatory processes appear in infectious diseases that provoke pain, the process is accompanied by pain in the bones, head, temperature, and decreased mobility.
Myositis is accompanied by acute pain, cramps when bending, movement, which appears with hypothermia, heavy physical exertion. At rest, this pain goes away, but with movement it renews, is transmitted to the back of the legs.
Tumors in the back brain, nerve fibers, and abdominal space also cause lower back pain.
Back pain as a symptom of internal organs pathology
Girdle pain often occurs when internal organs malfunction, which causes damage to nerve endings. The unpleasant sensations associated with such pain are observed in people with medical conditions:
- Pancreatitis.This is a pancreatic disease that causes severe pain in the back or abdomen. In parallel, the patient has vomiting, diarrhea, and the pressure drops.
- Gastrointestinal pathologies.This includes ulcerative colitis, intestinal obstruction or inflammation.
- Kidney inflammation.This creates a feeling of lingering pain in the lower back. If the sensations are in the form of contractions, stones move. There may be frequent urination with darkening of the liquid, blood impurities, chills, fever are also frequent symptoms.
Women in the position should also be careful when such pain occurs, especially in the second part of pregnancy. During this period, fears are associated with the likelihood of premature birth in the presence of the above diseases and their exacerbation in a pregnant woman.
Back hurts, gives to the leg
Lumbar pain and its sensation in different places of the lower extremities indicates different causes.
- Thigh. The cause is protrusion, prolapse of the spine, tumors, buttock bursitis.
- Back leg, reaching the level of the foot. Together with a dull disturbing sensation, it appears with neuropathy, pinching of a sciatic nerve.
- Side leg. The reason is an intervertebral hernia.
- Meralgia. The outer thigh suffers due to compression of the nerve by the inguinal ligament. It occurs more often in pregnant women with increased weight. In addition to pain, goose bumps, tingling, and numbness can be felt.
- Front leg. Appears after operations in the lower abdomen.
- In the knee for orthopedic problems in the hip joint. Influenced by the disease of the prostate in men and female cancer.
Other diseases described above also cause painful leg symptoms.
Back pain in the lumbar region - how to treat
Due to the fact that lumbar pain occurs due to many serious diseases, it is strongly recommended to consult a doctor (therapist, orthopedist, vertebrologist, neurologist) before starting treatment. After the diagnosis, the correct therapy will be prescribed, aimed at eliminating the underlying disease. Self-medication can only aggravate the situation, and in some cases, lead to surgical intervention.
Medications are required in the treatment, given:
- in the form of injections;
- pain relieving suppositories;
- tablets: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and diuretics to relieve swelling at the site of inflammation;
- ointments, gels, homeopathic remedies.
Vitamin complexes, as well as the use of a special medical device, will not be superfluous.
Back hurts - treatment with folk remedies
Folk remedies are also actively used to achieve a therapeutic effect at home. It is important here to apply the procedures correctly, according to your disease. The following folk remedies and methods are considered effective:
- Hot and cold exposure to a heating pad. This has a short-term effect, but doctors do not particularly recommend this method.
- Medicinal herbs. They are characterized by anti-inflammatory effects. Pay attention to the willow bark from which the decoction is made and taken as a drink.
- Capsain-containing parched chilli is applied to the area of concern for pain relief.
- Compresses from horseradish, radish and sour cream or based on the collection of chamomile, black elderberry, St. John's wort, thyme.
- Physiotherapy, massage, swimming, walking are also necessary, but massage should be done by a specialist.
This article only explains the causes of back pain. If there is a problem, it should be remembered that folk remedies can have a temporary effect, and for optimal results, you should at least consult a doctor and be treated systemically. After all, each disease has its own causes, therefore, the treatment is different.